Re: package trees

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 06:35:54AM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
> This will probably get me ejected from the planet or accused of
> not understanding how Debian works, but here goes.

I do not think you will be ejected but you may be chewed :)

> There has been a long standing "bitch" by some that Debian is so
> vary slow to update their base system.  i

That comes from people who do not know how Debian works.

> Personally I stand entirely behind the philosophies of making stable
> really stable and releasing updates when they are ready.

I do.  But some more helpful mechanism will not harm as long as it is
implimented.  apt_preferences and chroot are there for unstable. (Well
in reality, i can not resist.  I am running unstable/testing system.
libc is very new)
> set my apt_preferences accordingly:
> For Example
> ----------
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 700
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 600
>
> (as long as they are both >500)

Why this?  Where is unstable with Pin-Priority: 50

These discussion realy depends on situation of debian archive.  When was
the last release.

> A little more thought on the matter came up with another qualifier
> on the testing packages.  The assumption is that the longer that
> they have been in testing, unmodified, the higher the probability
> is that they are more stable than not.  Mind you, this is an
> assumption and I know that there will be exceptions to this.
>
> But I guess this comes down to a point.  Is there any information
> available which implicates how long a package has been in testing?

It is not easyly and efficiently available.

> This would allow a finer tuning of package downloads to assume
> anything over XX days to be "good enough to play with".  The value
> of XX would depend on my willingness to meddle with that
> particular machines stability.

True.

> I have a number of workstations that I consider as different
> levels of stability.  My notebook is pretty ruthless, I would
> probably set XX == 7.  My desktop workstation is different and
> that might run > 30 days.  You get the idea.

Well all packages stay in UNSTABLE for few days.  So I usually track
tesing once it matures (I do not do this for first few month after
release.)

Then again come to think of it, "apt-get upgrade -d" to download and
"apt-get upgrade --no-download --ignore-missing".  This will be nice to
wait few more days than others.

Oh, yeah.  I will do this with unstable.  That will be nice. :)
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract