Wireless USB Adapter Problem

I have just posted the text below to linux-wlan-user@lists.linux-wlan.com. Earlier postings to the debian-user list and the linux-wlan-user list have gone unanswered. Before scrapping two Actiontec Wireless USB Adapters I thought one more posting was worth a try.

My system:

   Debian Woody
   kernel 2.4.18 built from kernel-source 2.4.18
   linux-wlan-ng-0.1.15
       from tarball downloaded from linux-wlan.com
   Actiontec Wireless USB Adapter, Model HWU 1170-01
   rc.wlan and wlan are in the /etc directory

Immediately after bootup the command

   less /proc/bus/usb/devices

shows

T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#=  3 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=  8  #Cfgs=  1
P: Vendor=1668 ProdID=0421 Rev= 1.32
S: SerialNumber=111111111111
C:* #Ifs=  1 Cfg#=  1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
I: If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=prism_usb

lsmod shows prism2_usb unused
ifconf shows only lo but ifconf -a shows wlan0 as well as dummy and lo.

I have tried every variation of modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1 I could think of - that is, replace the 1 by 01 for the port shown above. 3 for the device number shown above. In every case the next command

wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable

results in a bunch of error messages.

The linux-wlan web page reports that the Actiontec Wireless USB Adapter, Model 802U13 was succesully used with linux-wlan-ng. Could it be this was an earlier model based on prism2 and the current model HWU01170-01 is no longer based on priwm2?

I have struggled with this problem for a week and am about ready to give up. The Adapter works perfectly with Windows and the firmware has been updated to 1.35. In Linux I have been unable to get even a flicker from the device's ready light.

One possible clue. Since I attached the Adapter I have occasionally been getting the message "Spurious interrupt 8259A: IRQ 7" This may be irrelevant - I have rebuilt the kernel several times with different modules trying to get the Adapter to work and have, perhaps, created some other problem though everything else seems to work normally.

At any rate, if there are no helpful responses to this message I'm going to scrap this adapter, un-install linux-wlan-ng and invest in a Lucent adapter recommended in an entry in the debian-user list.