Re: OT: benefits of preloading libraries

> my grandparents sent me their ThinkNIC,

> I was shocked on how fast it booted up X, I guess its because its
> so stripped down(I upgraded it to 128MB from 64MB), but was wondering
> if the preloading of stuff had much to do with it,

Xvesa starts up very fast indeed (for many reasons, including the lack
of module support and the fact that it doesn't need to be careful with
hardware).

Preloading is about hard-wiring addresses of shared library symbols in
executables.  It does give some speedup for programs using a lot of
shared libraries (e.g. Gnome applications) but shouldn't make that much
of a difference in most cases.

                                                     Juliusz