Which X pkgs to hold?

Hi Gang!

I have a woody notebook and put XFree86 4.2.0 on it from the
tarballs (because of better hdw support than in X v3). Now I
want to try out some window managers, but apt-get wants to
install xfree86-common every time I ask it for an X app.

The Question:

- What packages do I need to mark as "hold" (or better?) to save

the XFree86 v4 installation from getting damageed? (I took most
of the options offered in the X installation routine, except
Japanese fonts etc.)

- Where would I have looked to find this out myself if I were a
smarter user?

- What's the best way to mark those packages so that I can
continue life with apt-get?

All kinds of anticipatory gratitude,

Tony

--