$DISPLAY

Hey all,

I dotn' think my $DISPLAY variable is set correctly. I'm trying to run an X program on a remote computer through ssh. It says:

Cannot create window - please check your DISPLAY environment variable.

So i checked the value of $DISPLAY and it is blank. I'm not sure what to set it to. I used to be able to do this on a previous Linux installation (i think it was Mandrake 8) but it has never worked on Debian Woody. Thanks for any help,

Chris~