Re: OT: duplex entry in printcap

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 04:42:04PM +0100, Martin F Krafft wrote:
| Hi there,
|
| We have a duplex-capable HP LJ 5MP/Sx at the lab and instead of
| editing the postscript headers for every file I want to print duplex,
| it would be much nicer if I could just have an additional entry in
| /etc/printcap, so that lprng prints duplex when printing via this new
| entry.
|
| Problem is that I can't find any information on how to do that, or
| whether it's even possible. debian-user, bear with me and this
| off-topic post, is there someone out there capable of helping me?

Some possibilities that come to mind are :

    .   Use CUPS.  It has this sort of thing built-in and even
            switchable with a command line option to 'lp' (or 'lpr')

    .   For the filter, use a script that uses 'sed' or other
            appropriate tool to do the same editing you are currently
            doing by hand.

Yeah, that's all I can think of right now.  (I use the former solution)

HTH,
-D

--
Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure;
I am clean and without sin"?

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/