Re: Printer Recommendations?

on Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 07:37:38PM +0000, Pigeon (jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk) wrote:

> Re toner/ink refills - you can get kits comprising bottles of ink and
> four hypodermics with which you can inject new ink into old
> cartridges. How many times you can do this depends on the cartridge,
> but even doing it once saves a packet.

My understanding is that manufacturers (HP among them) are moving toward
"smart" cartridges which know when they're empty...but not when they've
been refilled.  Effectively enforcing single-use status, and murmers of
using tools such as DMCA Anti-circumvention for enforcement.  Anyone
have experiences / further information on this?  And note that I may be
half-remembering or rumormongering here....

Peace.