Re: complete system lock up

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 09:31:09AM -0000, Ben Thompson wrote:
> > Hmmm, I'm no expert, but crashing Memtest86 is a _very_ bad thing.
> > Unless the system is running on a Crusoe processor (which based on your
> > culprits: Memory, CPU, and Motherboard.  IIRC, these are really the only
> > pieces of your system in use during a Memtest86 run.  I'd start with
> > removing all but one stick of memory and running Memtest86 again.  If it
> > fails again, try a different stick of memory.  If it fails with all
> > available memory, you may want to test that memory in another system.
> > If it passes in another system, I'd say you're looking at a CPU or
> > Motherboard problem.  The problem may be heat related, do you have a
> > good heat-sink/fan on your CPU, with good contact between it and the
> > CPU?  I've seen systems I though had good contact fail, and the
> > application of a small dab of thermal grease fixed them (all 6 have been
> > running for nearly 6 months now without problem).
>
> I bought a brand new stick of memory and tried that out, but it gave me multiple
> errors in test 4 on memtest86, so then I tried both sticks of memory but I got the
> same errors on test 4. The CPU is an Athlon slot type, so it looks like a black
> plastic module with a fan on the side which goes into an edge connector on the
> mother board, so I can't really get in to check the thermal connection to the heatsink.
>
> So it looks like either my CPU or motherboard which is causing the problem.
> Should I try to prise open the athlon cpu module to check the heatsink compound?

I would, but I wouldn't recommend anyone else to do it. This is
perhaps less likely to be the problem, though, given that the CPU and
fan were assembled by the CPU manufacturer rather than whoever put the
PC together. Indeed, it may be the case that having removed the
plastic shell you'll find that the fan is glued to the CPU, so you
can't check it.

You could try squirting it with freezer spray, but be careful that the
condensation this causes doesn't short things and create further
problems.

Another method I've found helpful is to cool the CPU with a plastic
bag full of ice and water.

> or should I just throw out the cpu and motherboard, and buy new ones?

Having a slot CPU reduces your options here, but I'd replace them one
at a time, partly because the expected cost is roughly 75% of
replacing both, and partly for the satisfaction of knowing which one
was faulty.

Course, you could use it as an excuse for an upgrade.

Pigeon