Logging onto a Windows network?

One of my professors at school is tired of the MicroSquish way of doing
things and would like to run Linux on his desktop.  The problem is that
the college's servers are all running on NT.  What would he need to do
in order to be able to log onto the campus network from a Linux box?
>From what I have seen, SAMBA is just the opposite.  It allows Windows
boxes access to a Linux server, but he needs to access a Windows server
from Linux.  Have I missed something obvious?  What documentation and
packages should I have him look at?
--
Marc Shapiro                         "If you drink melomel every day,
m_shapiro@bigfoot.com                you will live to be 150 years old,