continuing email problem: charter reply

first, I was able to change my ip back at least to a 24.xxx.xx.xxx by
using dhcpcd -k and then rebooting. but it didn't solve the problem.
secondly, now that i've uncommented and edited all of the auth lines
(shown below) I am getting 'relay prohibitted. You are not allowed to
relay mail" rather than "you should authenticate first." Obviously, all of
these lines shouldn't be uncommented, but I continued to get "you should
authenticate first" when I tried only uncommenting and editing cramd5.
Third, I got a reply back from charter.net, also included here. I actually
don't have a "workstation" so will have to clear that up. If this sheds
any light on the subject, please let me know.
Thanks.
(inserts below).

Cheryl

lines from exim.config
((have removed password and username: tried username both with and without
chartermi.net because they ask for full email address on website when
signing in)

remote_smtp:
  driver = smtp
authenticate_hosts = smtp.chartermi.net

# To use SMTP AUTH when sending to a particular host, such as your ISP's
# smarthost, uncomment and edit the above line, and also the example
# client-side authenticators at the bottom of the file

# These examples below are the equivalent for client side authentication.
# They assume that you only use client side authentication to connect to
# one host (such as a smarthost at your ISP), or else use the same user
# name and password everywhere

 plain:
   driver = plaintext
   public_name = PLAIN