Re: sound card problem

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:44:42 +0000
f.holler@scientec.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am a bit desperate to have my Sound Blaster Awe 64 work... I thought I should move to ALSA. So, I tried to update my kernel to version 2.4.16, because someone told me it was easier with the package alsa-modules-2.4.16, but I am afraid it led me to re-install everything!!
>
> So, back to my good old kernel 2.2.19pre17, with my 3 CDs version 2.2. I have a few packages there when I run a dselect, and don't know exactly what to install...
> alsa-source
> alsautils
> alsa-base
> alsa-headers
> alsaconf
> alsalib0.3.0
> ..
>

> Should i install all of them? And then do I need to run an install process like described on the asla-project web site?

I don't know if I fully understand the issue and am not familiar with your soundcard (I have Sound Blaster Live ! 5.1 which works with the emu10k1 module)  You should try to find your cards "module/driver" and load it via modprobe; it may already be present and you wouldn't have to
compile alsa at all.  After a successful modprobe (i would try sb module ; but look on a list) then you need to unmute  the channels to get sound (ie use aumix; amixer; kmix; gmix; rexima )

HTH

Shawn