Re: X startup & immediate shutdown (no errors)

    "Drew" == Drew Cohan <drewcohan@drewcohan.com> writes:

    Drew> Can anyone please tell me why X shuts down on its own in the
    Drew> following situation? I want it to keep running continuously.

    Drew> I have no window manager installed (don't need one), I've
    Drew> got xserver-xfree86 installed, I can use startx fine.  So I
    Drew> type startx, X comes up, reads my .xsession file:

    Drew> #!/bin/sh
    Drew> /path/to/myprogram
    Drew> sleep 10

    Drew> which runs my program for ten seconds and then X shuts down
    Drew> by itself (no errors).  So the question becomes, how do I
    Drew> keep X running after it executes my .xsession file?  What is
    Drew> it looking for/to do next?

If you want X to exit whenever 'myprogram' exits you should do

#!/bin/sh
exec /path/to/myprogram

because X will exit when the .xsession script exits. Basically, keep
the .xsession script running (somehow or the other) as long as you
want X to keep running.

Cheers!
Shyamal