RE: X startup & immediate shutdown (no errors)

This is what's supposed to happen. When your .xsession terminates so does
your X session. So how you prevent it from ending depends on what myprogram
does. If you are starting your program in the background, don't do that. If
you have no choice, you'll need to do something more complicated. If
myprogram must run asynchronously and never terminates, you could do this:

while true; do sleep 100000; done