Re: server monitoring program

on Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:15:19PM -0500, Kevin Coyner (kevin@rustybear.com) wrote:

> Looking for a recommendation of a server monitoring program to use.
>
> I'm responsible for serveral different websites that are run on
> independent ISP/hosts.  A couple of these sites are on Win2K boxes, and
> a couple on Linux.
>
> I'm looking for a program that does simple testing to see if these sites
> are "just up and running" (i.e. as simple as a periodic ping).  Almost
> needless to say, I'm not on the same network as these machines, so
> firewalls will be present on both my end and the server end.

Nagios is recommended, though its setup is nontrivial.  It's also a bit
jealous of real-estate, and tends to pig your desktop for a full browser
view.  If anyone knows of a "consolidated" nagios monitor a'la gkrellm
or a WindowMaker dock app, please share.  Though the browser is a
ubiquitious content access tool, it's not particularly well suited to
system monitoring, IMO, particularly on a system that's not dedicated to
the monitoring task.

For a simple ping continuity test, I've found 'wmhdown' to be useful,
particularly after recompiling it with a default bitmap that's green
rather than grey.  Dropping this on the bottom of my WindowMaker dock,
I've got a small, subtle, but effective indicator of whether or not a
given host is reachable.  I've found that this is a useful and effective
monitoring tool.

You might also look into audio alamrs, pages, and related type
indicators, though the issue in this case is distinguishing actual
alerts from false alarms.

Peace.