Re: finding network activity

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 12:45:48PM -0700, John Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,

Hi to you too.  Let me warn you first, me head is not working properly
so what I say may make no sense, but...

> I have demand dialing turned on and would like to determine why ppp is
> starting up at 15 minute intervals.  I am looking at syslog and not
> seeing anything that would initiate outside traffic.  I also have
> tcpdump -i any turned on and not seeing anything either.  I removed

...not sure, but the other month when I had similar problems I noticed
that "tcpdump -i" was of no use as the interface wasn't up yet so
tcpdump didn't monitor the ppp line, or the line was up and ready
allright but the culprit of bringing it up had vanished before I could
type tcpdump:( IIRC I switched off demand dailing temporarily, brought
up ppp, started tcpdump and waited for 15 minutes, and bingo: DNS:)

--
groetjes, carel