Re: OT: Politics of Java

Rob Weir wrote:

> Just coming off a concurrent systems course at my Uni: Ada was created
> for this sort of thing; i.e. it has built in support for concurrency,
> rendezvouses (is that a plural already), monitors, etc, etc at the
> language level.

Yes, but the question is, how usable is it in practice? Java, Erlang,
Concurrent Clean, and other languages also have built-in concurrency
support. I'm not familiar with Clean's approach, and I dislike Java's
(which basically amounts to making the programmer do all the work);
Erlang's is quite nice. Erlang is basically designed around the idea of
parallel, distributed tasks, each of them implemented internally in a
more or less pure functional model, communicating by means of
asynchronous messages that can contain whatever data you want to send.
This is not a bag on the side like Java's "synchronized" keyword; it's
fundamental to the basic design of the language, and it's really nice.

I have never learned Ada, partly because I've never needed to and
partially because it's never attracted my interest, in part due to its
reputation as "the PL/I of the '80s" (translation: a vastly overcomplex,
do-everything-but-do-nothing-well language... hmm... come to think of
it, that sounds a lot like C++). So if you're familiar enough with Ada's
concurrency model to describe it for us here, please do.

Craig