Re: Digicams and Debian/Linux

>>>>> "Bruno" == Bruno Diniz de Paula <diniz@cs.rutgers.edu> writes:

Bruno> Hi all, I have just purchased a digicam (Sony DSC-P7) and I was
Bruno> trying to download the pictures from the camera to my box (Debian
Bruno> sid). When I plug the camera into some of the USB ports, the
Bruno> usbmgr detects the device and the Sony is listed when running
Bruno> lsusb. After doing some googling, I haven't succeded in finding a
Bruno> package or some way to mount the memory card at the camera or to
Bruno> read the pictures after the device was detected by usbmgr. Does
Bruno> some of you know if there is a package in Debian that helps
Bruno> working around this stuff or if there is another better solution?

The package you want is gphoto2 and/or gtkam (gtkam is a GTK frontend to
gphoto2).  Unfortunately, it doesn't list the DSC-P7 as a supported
camera, but it lists several other Sony models, so there's a chance that
it will work.

There are Debian packages for both in Woody.  There are some permissions
issues that you'll need to solve, so read the docs.  In particular,
/usr/share/doc/libgphoto2-2/README.Debian.  (That's for unstable.  The
path is probably different for stable.)

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA