Re: LILO on the second disk loaded by GRUB

David Z Maze wrote:

Dai Yuwen  writes:

>Bruce Park wrote:
>

>>Dai,
>>
>>I'm confused to why you aren't just using one boot loader to control
>>everything. Can you tell me why you are using two boot loaders?
>>

>My reason is here:
>

>>>Now I put them together.  My intention is: let GRUB load the lilos on
>>>the second hard disk.  I know I can load both potato and woody from
>>>with GRUB.  But I want to keep using lilo so that lilo is
>>>`self-contained' in its own partition.  i.e., once I add an entry to
>>>load lilo in GRUB, I needn't modify it again no matter how lilo changes.

But that doesn't really make sense.  You can put

  title First Linux
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2

  title Second Linux
  root (hd1,0)
  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1

in your /boot/grub/menu.lst, and not have to do anything when you
update kernels (provided a working kernel is always at /vmlinuz on
each of your installations).  LILO doesn't need to be involved at
all.

Sounds reasonable.  Thank you very much!

Dai yuwen