Re: [OT] Remember when hard disk sizes were in MiB?

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 09:53:19AM -0500, Mike Dresser wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Pigeon wrote:
>
> > $500? Chicken's tits. The US distributors must have been ripping
> > people off bigtime. In the UK, I think the original ZX80 cost 80
> > pounds, and neither the ZX81 nor any of its accessories went for more
> > than that.
>
> 500 Canadian, which back then, I haven't a clue what our dollar was,
> definately not the 1.6 cdn : 1 USD that it's at now.  Probably closer to
> 1.3 or so.  So figure about 380ish, with taxes and stuff.

Still way over the top! How does it compare with say a Commodore
VIC-20 or a TRS-80 level 1? In the UK the ZX-80/81 was <80 pounds, the
VIC-20 180 pounds and the TRS-80 much much more expensive, though you
did get a monitor with it, >400 pounds IIRC.

(Commodore seemed to be a bit unlucky with their model names. In French
the Pet is a "Commodore Fart" and in (spoken) German the VIC-20 is a
"Fuck-20". Maybe that's why they just gave the C64 a number.)

Pigeon