Re: DivX to VCD?

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:24:18 +0800 Patrick Hsieh wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Is there anyone who has the experience in converting DivX file into
> VCD format iso? I think  it's possible to convert divx file into mpeg1
> file, and vcdtools may be capable of making it ito a iso image. I am
> asking here if anyone have a one-liner example to do the job?Say,
> "mencoder <divxfile> | <vcdtool> | mkisofs" something like this?

You need something in between mplayer/mencoder and vcdimager to convert
the video and audio streams into a VCD-compliant format. Also, vcdimager
replaces mkisofs since it generates the necessary cue/bin files for
burning directly.

One-liners are going to be difficult because, among other reasons, the
audio and video portions of the movie have to be handled separately.

My (recent) experience:

1. I use mplayer (and mencoder) to extract the audio and video portions
of the divx (or any other format) movie separately.

2. Then I use some of the utilities in the mjpegtools package (namely,
lav2yuv, yuvscaler, mpeg2enc, lav2wav, mp2enc and mplex - the docs are
full of useful examples) to manipulate the audio and video streams into
VCD- or SVCD-compliant streams, and merge them together again into a
single movie file.

3. Then I use some of the tools in vcdimager to tweak the play options
and generate the cue/bin image files.

4. Then I feed the cue file to cdrdao, and that's it.

I would like to use cdrecord, since that's what I already use for my
other cd burning needs, but I could find no mention of cue/bin file
handling in either the cdrecord or the mkisofs docs.

If you want, I can send you a sample script I have written just for this
purpose (converting movies into SVCDs).

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/