Re: (LONG) SOLVED (Mostly): Samba, PAM, Authentication off an NT Domain

(Posting to the list for posterity.)

Kent West wrote:

I haven't gotten the home directory stuff figured out yet. When a user logs in, the error is generated that the home directory doesn't exist and that / will be used as the home directory. Hopefully I can get that solved in the next day or two.

Yuri responded:

[...]
  template homedir = /home/%D/%U
[...]
mkdir /home/YOURDOMAIN
then, log in and it automatically create /home/YOURDOMAIN/username
(/home/YOURDOMAIN must exist!)

In the meantime Linux users have a new home (in a NFS server) becouse I've a little problem. if I mount:
smbmount //winserver-home/users /home/MYDOMAIN
I am the owner of all homes!!! And they can't write!

if you find a better solution, let me know...
Ps: I am not domain administrator=I can't do everything

Yes, this created the directory. I'm wanting them to instead mount their NT Home folders, but if I understand what you're saying above, there are "issues" yet to be worked out. Still, this has gone a _very_ long way in getting me where I wanted to go. Thank you VERY much, Yuri!

So, for completeness' sake, in one location, here are the relevant files:

/etc/nsswitch.conf:

passwd:         files winbind compat
group:          files winbind compat
shadow:         winbind compat

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

/etc/samba/smb.conf:

[global]
  workgroup = ACU
  server string = %h server
  security = domain
  encrypt passwords = true
  password server = phoebe
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
  max log size = 1000
  os level = 18
  local master = No
  dns proxy = no
  winbind uid = 10000-20000
  winbind gid = 10000-20000
  template shell = /bin/bash
  winbind separator = +
  template homedir = /home/%D/%U

/etc/pam.d/login:

auth       required   pam_securetty.so
auth       required   pam_nologin.so
auth	   sufficient pam_winbind.so
auth       required   pam_env.so
auth       required   pam_unix.so nullok use_first_pass
account    sufficient   pam_winbind.so
account    required   pam_unix.so
session    required   pam_unix.so
session    optional   pam_lastlog.so
session    optional   pam_motd.so
session    optional   pam_mail.so standard noenv
session required /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022 password required pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8

Yuri earlier mentioned /etc/pam.d/xlock, but I haven't played with that file yet, nor know what it controls. I suspect it has something to do with the X Window System. For completeness, I'll add his /etc/pam.d/xlock file here:

auth sufficient pam_winbind.so auth sufficient pam_unix.so use_first_pass account sufficient pam_winbind.so account sufficient pam_unix.so