Re: Sources of changes to /etc/motd and of other login messages?

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> also sprach Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2002.12.11.1244 +0100]:
>> > Also, what causes the following prompt to print out at login, after
>> > /etc/motd has been displayed?  ...
>> >
>> >   Last login: Wed Dec 11 06:25:26 2002 from 204.212.175.30
>>
>> Not sure ...
>
> PAM:
>
> %> grep lastlog /etc/pam.d/login
> session    optional   pam_lastlog.so
>
> wow, i knew something that colin didn't...

I mentioned in my original message about pam_lastlog.so.  I pointed out
that I've set it as follows inside of /etc/pam.d/login, but I'm still
getting the "Last login: ..." line when I log in:

  session    optional   pam_lastlog.so silent

Apparently, this line is getting ignored, and something else is causing
that "Last login: ..." message to get printed.

But what ... ???

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com