Re: mail basics on a debian system

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 04:04:32PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

> Note that the data stream looks the same, except there is no response
> from the server.  The "batched" comes from the intent that the data
> stream will be saved and then later fed into an MTA.  An example
> usage, as Colin indicated, is for a high-availability server to accept
> the messages via SMTP (over TCP) and store the client machine's SMTP
> commands in a file.  The messages will be collected as they arrive,
> then at some point the file will be transferred to a low-availability
> server for delivery.  The low-availability server receives all the
> messages at once (as a "batch" job) via BSMTP.

Derrick, please forgive me if this question sounds stupid ( I know
I have to reread a lot of network stuff), but I have the impression
that the high-availability server in Colins example acts somehow
as a relay mashine with a buffer feature added to it?
Does this mean the mashine of Colins friend does no verification,
filtering or whatever, just collects the debian-list messages and sends
the whole bunch on demand?

What is the exact definition of a high-availability server?

Robert