Re: Embedded Linux PDA

David Z Maze said:

> AFAIK the Zaurus is the only one that blessedly runs Linux.  There are
> hobbyists who also run Linux on the Compaq iPAQ, but at least several
> months ago this wasn't so useful.

I thought so too not long ago, then read something which pointed to
this site:

more then 20 linux pdas out there! amazing! I was shocked, quite
impressed though. I too am looking forward to the new Zaurus with
the 640x480 screen, Hopefully I can get a CDPD modem which is
compadible(I saw a website which said they had a CF CDPD modem
which supported linux for about $345, along with a 802.11 adapter,
mainly because I saw a IPSec client for the Zarus! I won't run
802.11 without some good layer of protection, and a full VPN
is best, though I much prefer vtun over IPSec, I'll take anything,
I've never found a VPN client for PalmOS(I have 2 visors with
a CDPD modem) outside of some really expensive IBM service which
isn't suitable for my home use.

I can foresee myself keeping all 3 PDAs in active use too. I have
GPS for my visors, and of course the cdpd modem, and a barcode reader
along with a bunch of other things. My color visor works best at
night or indoors, my monochrome works best in daylight outside and
when battery is critical, and I can see the linux one being best for
full network access(good terminal emulation, multitasking which
I wish I could do in palmos). SSH on the palm is really icky to
say the least, though it does work..

I just hope I get a job soon so I can afford this new PDA! Since
with addons and stuff it will probably run about $1000-1200.

I have a laptop(thinkpad T20) but its just too damn heavy, I never
take it anywhere, only time I use it is in my bedroom. PDA is
perfect for on the road use, or otherwise away-from-home. That and
hopefully the battery is better, my thinkpad lasts about 2 hours
I think on 1 battery(at best).

nate
(eagerly awaiting the new zarus, in some ways I wish I never
heard about it!)