RE: lynx rendering fonts

Not xresources, terminfo. Terminfo is lower level. Programs use terminfo to
know what a terminal is capable of and what character sequences it needs to
send to get the terminal to do things. For example, if my TERM is xterm, a
program that drives the screen will eventually ned to look up a capability
(say, clear screen) in the terminfo data record for that terminal. This will
return a character code sequence (probably ^[7;u or some such similar line
noise). The program then spits that out, the terminal recognizes it, and
clears the screen.

Termcap, an older variant of terminfo, kept all its terminal data as ascii
files. This made it pretty easy to copy them and then modify them to your
heart's content (IIRC you could even set a TERMCAP environment variable to
hold your entire term capability text). Terminfo compiles an ascii format
into a binary form but you should still be able to find the ascii source,
modify it, then compile and install under a different terminal name. Using
this, you could change the standout-mode character sequences to nothing, so
the terminal will never generate standout characters.

Like I said, this is not for the faint of heart. If it were me, I'd either
hack and recompile lynx or search for a compatible but dumber terminal
(vt100 and vt52 are worth a shot).

See the man pages for term and terminfo for hair-raising detail.