Re: Is it possible to switch these processors?

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 12:19, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> "Wathen, Metherion" <mwathen@bsadesign.com> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I have an older system with a P100 processor, I have another older system
> > with P450 processor. what dangers do i face in swapping the processors?
> >
> > thanks in advance.
> > mw
>
>    If they have the same pin-count and the same voltage, then you
> might as well try it, although some motherboards have jumpers one can
> set so as to accommodate different CPUs with different voltage
> requirements and speeds. For the latter you should check the
> motherboard's manual (it may be on the web if you do not possess a
> copy).
>
>    One of the reasons I suggest just doing it to find out is because I
> did exactly that (I replaced a generic 33MHz 486 [/proc/cpuinfo could
> not determine the manufacturer] with a Intel 486 DX2) and sure enough,
> it worked!
>
> Elizabeth

I'd check the upper limit of the clock on that motherboard - I used to
run a P1/90MHz, and I know that the motherboards back then tended to be
limited to clocks of 60 MHz and 66 MHz, with multipliers that allowed
handling processors of no more than 2.5 times clock speed, or 166 MHz
top speed. A P1/100MHz is probably running on a board with a 1.5
multiplier on a 66 MHz clock, or a 2 multiplier on a 50 MHz clock. 450
MHz may be *way* out of range for the clock to support.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org