Re: [OT] Remember when hard disk sizes were in MiB?

At 2002-12-11T05:41:36Z, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> Just today, I received 3 512MB SDRAMS for the grand sum of US$94.
> That's 24,576x more RAM that was in my KayPro2, and 2,458x as much
> RAM as in my first PC/AT.

The 768MB in my workstation is 786432x more than in my little Timex Sinclair
(100[0]?).  My first "programming environment" was an Atari 2600 with the
BASIC module.  It had 63 bytes (yes, you read that correctly) of RAM.

> So..... So what if programs are biggers now than they were back then?
> They do a *heck* of a lot more!!!!

Sure.  My C64 didn't have to deal with multiprocessing, various and sundry
device drivers, user-configurable resolutions, multiple isolated users,
networking, etc.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.