Re: faster boot sequence

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 06:41:44PM -0700, Jason Majors wrote:
> > Jason Majors wrote:
> > > I've started a project http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/oggcastd/ to play
> > > Ogg Vorbis and MP3 files in my car. The box I use boots automatically when
> > > it gets power, but it still takes almost 30s after I turn the key to get
> > > sound.
> > > How can I speed up the boot process?
> >
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 12:11:10PM -0500, Joey Hess scribbled...
> > Wellm how far does it need to boot before you can run the ogg player?
> > I'll bet you can move the init script for the player to run as
> > /etc/rc2.d/S01whatever and shave off a few seconds. I do this with xdm
> > on laptops as well. The rest of the boot can happen after the important
> > stuff starts up. If you're feeling really antsy you could put it in
> > /etc/rcS.d/S36, so it runs right after all disks are mounted.
> >
> I was about to boot it up to check, but plugged in my notebook's 19V PS,
> instead of the correct 12V, and now the power distribution board is dead. :(
> But it was pretty low in the boot order, not S01, but pretty low.
>
> I'm mostly wondering about things I can pull out of rc2.d and rcS.d that
> aren't really needed for a simple box like this.

Yes, first start with rc2.d, and disable all things tha you don't need.
syslog? cron? at? usbmgr? lpd? inetd? diald? etc etc. If you don't
know what they do, read the manpage.

Then look at rcS.d. Remove things like "keymap.sh". Think about
hwclockfirst, modutils (it does a lengthy depmod -a, which only
needs to be done once after installing new modules. It's convenient
that it runs at every boot but unneccesary. )
setserial. dns-clean portmap, mountnfs console-screen urandom nviboot
nethack are all things that are probably unnecesary.

Then look at your kernel. If it stops for a while probing for hardware
you don't have, then recompile the kernel leaving out the driver for
that hardware that you don't ahve. Most probes are less than a thousandth
of a second, but some may take a couple.

			Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
* The Worlds Ecosystem is a stable system. Stable systems may experience *