Re: faster boot sequence

> Jason Majors wrote:
> > I've started a project http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/oggcastd/ to play
> > Ogg Vorbis and MP3 files in my car. The box I use boots automatically when
> > it gets power, but it still takes almost 30s after I turn the key to get
> > sound.
> > How can I speed up the boot process?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 12:11:10PM -0500, Joey Hess scribbled...
> Wellm how far does it need to boot before you can run the ogg player?
> I'll bet you can move the init script for the player to run as
> /etc/rc2.d/S01whatever and shave off a few seconds. I do this with xdm
> on laptops as well. The rest of the boot can happen after the important
> stuff starts up. If you're feeling really antsy you could put it in
> /etc/rcS.d/S36, so it runs right after all disks are mounted.

I was about to boot it up to check, but plugged in my notebook's 19V PS,
instead of the correct 12V, and now the power distribution board is dead. :(
But it was pretty low in the boot order, not S01, but pretty low.

I'm mostly wondering about things I can pull out of rc2.d and rcS.d that
aren't really needed for a simple box like this.