Re: [OT] Remember when hard disk sizes were in MiB?

On 10 Dec 2002, 23:18:30, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> I was digging through some old papers and found this from nearly a
> decade ago:
>
> (Dec. 21)
>  I'm getting tired of lazy, slovenly, good-for-nothing programmers
> wasting my hard-earned hard disk space with their frivolous code.
>  My first PC hard disk had a 10MB capacity. These days, I can think of
> individual applications that consume more space.

In one of my more perverse claims to pride, I actually issue a purchase order
to IBM for a 5 MB 5.25" Full Height hard-drive for $4100 in 1984, to be installed
in an IBM PC.

And it was a godsend .  .  .

When PC DASD (Hard-Drives) hit $1/MB, I was in shock.  Now it's $1/GB.
When PC RAM hit $1/MB I was really in shock.  Now you can get 1 GB or RAM
for a little over $100 . . .

I hate being old.

madmac

--