Re: help configuring my monitor resolution...

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 12:28:28AM -0800, alan brown wrote:
> So my question is, How can I use the keyboard to kill X-Windows (as my
> mouse is dead)?

ctrl-alt-backspace should kill X and return you to the command line.

> And while I'm at it, how can I truly shut down linux.  Because I am not
> offered that option from the login page.  Isn't there some simple set of
> keystrokes that will tell linux to shutdown from anywhere like
> ctrl-alt-delete does in Windows?

Run 'shutdown -h now' as root.

> Help is appreciated as I'm a recent windows convert and I'm struggling
> to process the linux functionality through my expectation of windows
> functionality.

Linux is more complicated, but it does have a weird sort of logic
(usually).  Once you get into the 'linux' way of things, it'll get a lot
easier.  F'r instance, whenever I want to configure some package on my
machine, I go poking around in the /etc/packagename directory, and read
through the documentation in /usr/share/doc/packagename/.  On windows,
however, I'm lost.  You should have seen me try to increase the PPP
dialup timeout today...

On a more general note, 'apt-get install discover read-edid mdetect',
followed by a 'dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86' _should_ get X
working for you.  The discover package should sniff out your video card
successfully (if it's recent-ish, anyhow) and mdetect and read-edid
should be able to figure out your mouse and monitor, respectively.

-rob