Re: Easist way to get rtl8150 module

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 12:55:46AM -0700, J. Scott Edwards wrote:
> What is the easiest way to get rtl8150 module on this system?

Is this module in a mainline kernel yet?  If so, then 'apt-get install
kernel-image-2.4.18-<arch>', where arch is 386, 586tsc, k7 or whatever.
Then use modconf to select the module and you should be all set.

> Is is a binary already hiding somewhere that I haven't found?

Dunno.  If you've setup 'locate', then 'locate rtl8150' should find it
for you.  Again, you use modconf to select it.

> Do I have to build the whole kernel?  If so is the .config file that
> was used to build the 2-4-18-bf24 kernel on the Woody install disk
> available somewhere so I don't have to start the configuration from
> scratch?

The config file should be stored as /boot/config-2.4.18bf or similar,
but there's no point using it to build a new kernel, since the new one
would contain the exact limited set of drives you currently have
available :-)

-rob