Re: /etc/init.d/omniorb

Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> writes:

> Just idly wondering: /etc/init.d/omniorb: what is it for? It was put
> in by default when I originally installed the system, and I soon
> disabled it, and haven't noticed anything complaining that it's not
> there.
>
> It runs omniNames. What is omniNames? man omniNames gives the following:
>
>        omniNames - OMNI Naming Service
>
>        The  OMNI  Naming Service is an omniORB2 implementation of
>        the OMG's COS Naming Service Specification.
>
> which leaves me none the wiser.

CORBA.

OmniORB was originally written by the fine folks at AT&T is now at
sourceforge:

<http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/>

OmniORB is a well-respected ORB (Object Request Broker) and OmniNames
is the ORB's nameserver (similar to DNS except for objects).

Most likely, some application you installed is dependent upon OmniORB
and so it was installed as well. It is of note that GNOME uses ORBit
for its ORB.

Elizabeth