Re: java from sun: installation problem

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 11:28:19AM -0500, Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:
> > Does this one gives you a clue? Your system can't find
> > libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
> >
> > What I did on my system was to create a symlink from whatever current
> > libstdc++-libc6 so library in /usr/lib is to
> > $HOME/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 and add $HOME/lib to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > env. variable.
> >
> > Not really a solution in a Debian way(tm), but works.
>
> Rodrigo has the right answer here. It's not so much that your solution
> isn't the "Debian way", it's that it's potentially unreliable. The
> soname of a library changes because something changed in the library to
> render it incompatible with previous versions; it might not be anything
> you'll notice right away, but it's better to avoid the chance that
> something will inexplicably fall over three months from now when you've
> forgotten what you did.
>
> This is why, especially in the case of things like libstdc++, Debian
> tries to provide older versions of libraries and make sure that they can
> be installed at the same time as the newer versions.
I tried the symlinks before and then installed the older library
(libstdc++-2-libc6.1-1-2.9.0
In both cases when I try to run the following program:

---
/*
Hello.java
*/
import java.awt.*;

public class Hello extends Frame {
  public static void main(String argv[])
  {
    new Hello();
  }
  Hello() {
    Label hello =
             new Label("Hello World");
    add(hello, "Center");
    setSize(200, 200);
    setVisible(true);
  }
}
---
javac Hello.java
java Hello

Then
the box with Hello World appears but I got the following message:

''
2002-12-10 18:19:48 java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$3 run
WARNING: Could not create system preferences directory. System preferences
are unusable.''

The same message appears when I run 'appletviewer something.html'.

Any clue?