Re: complete system lock up

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 12:31:11PM +0000, Ben Thompson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having some serious problems with my sid system. I am getting
> regular system lock ups when using x-windows. I have not noticed the
> system lock up when I'm just using the console so I think it must be
> something to do with x. There are a few different ways to make it crash,
> one way which works every time is to open the taskbar preferences
> dialogue in kde, or another way is to load up and start using
> openoffice. It can happen at other seemingly random times though when
> running general applications in x. When the system locks, the mouse
> pointer freezes and the keyboard does not respond so I have to do a hard
> reboot everytime.

Can you ssh/telnet from other machine?

I had bad problem using X4.1 (woody) on 3Dfx card which I could not even
ssh into the system.  Since upgrading to X4.2 (sarge/sid), problem
subsided.

(did you have problem under X3? potato)

> I would really appreciate it if someone could suggest how to go about
> troublshooting this problem.

Good luck.
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract