Re: build an overloaded linux server

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 07:53:50PM +0800, Patrick Hsieh wrote:
| Hello list,
|
| For experimental requirement, I want to build an overloaded linux
| server in which openssh is binding tcp port 22. The criteria is,
| when a ssh client is connecting to the sshd on the overloaded one,
| the sshd will take more than 60 seconds to respond.(that is, tcp
| socket established but the sshd hangs over 60 seconds)
|
| Is there any trick to build this overloaded server?

Use a 486 SX processor that has only 8MB RAM available to it and a
slow IDE disk (with enough swap).  ;-).
(Seriously.  I have such a beast on my desk.)

Alternatively, renice sshd so that it has lowest CPU priority and then
run a bunch of other CPU-intensive processes.  That should
sufficiently starve sshd of CPU time so it can't compute the key stuff
in a reasonable amount of time.

-D

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/