Re: how to rename multiple files

On Mon, 09 Dec 2002, drew cohan wrote:

> How do I rename all files in a directory matching the pattern
> *.JPG to *.jpg in a bash shell script?  Thanks to you guys I can
> check for the existence of jpgs in a directory, but can't seem get
> 'mv' to rename them for me (always complains that the last
> argument must be a directory).

Hi, see man rename:

[...]

	DESCRIPTION
	"rename" renames the filenames supplied
	according to the rule specified as the first argument.  The
	perlexpr argument is a Perl expression which is expected to
	modify the $_ string in Perl for at least some of the
	filenames specified.  If a given filename is not modified by
	the expression, it will not be renamed.  If no filenames are
	given on the command line, filenames will be read via
	standard input.

       	For example, to rename all files matching "*.bak" to strip
       	the extension, you might say

	       rename 's/\e.bak$//' *.bak

       To translate uppercase names to lower, you'd use

	       rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' *

[...]

Oliver
--