Re: How insecure are cable connections, versus dialup?

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 04:43:44PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Although the linux kernel iptables firewalls are excellent I still
> recommend a separate firewall box between your computer and the Evil
> Internet.
(snip)
> In my opinion the cable modem should always have had one of these
> built into it.

Ick.  Multi-function devices are in general a bad idea.  Frequently they
end up restricting the end user to a small subset of possible
configurations and uses.  In most cases you're better off with a
dedicated device serving a specific purpose.

> A firewall box like a Linksys, D-Link or Netgear or other is just
> perfect for SOHO needs.  They run around $80 right now.  Look for a
> rebate or sale and save.  No disk drive to crash, no need for backup,
> no fan, quiet and can be left on for instant access.  You can add a
> second or third computer trivially.  You can run any OS you want
> behind the firewall since these are usually configured by a web
> interface.

You'll want to be careful with these devices and make certain they
support your intended use.  As these are hardware solutions, you are at
the whim of the manufacturer as to what it can and can not do.  Some of
these devices didn't support GRE packets (necessary for PPTP based VPN
connections) or IPSEC connections.  Many of these short comings have
been addressed by the manufacturers, but these problems can (and in some
cases still do) exist.

--
Jamin W. Collins