mozilla start (multiple times versus -remote)

mozilla wrapper used to start up a new mozilla or mozilla -remote, depending on whether mozilla was already running. Which made it easy to open new browser window, regardles of whether one was already running.

However now mozilla starts profile wizard and doesn't allow to use default profile (says profile is already used) when mozilla is already running. which makes it inconvenient to use in scripts (or various launchers etc.)

is there any trick I can use to easily open a new mozilla window (regardles of whether one is already open?

  I mean something simpler then (pseudocode):

if mozilla -remote 'ping()' then
	mozilla
else
	mozilla -remote 'xfeDoCommand (openBrowser)'
fi

  TIA-

	erik