Re: Pretty much a Debian newbie

    "Harold" == Harold Henderson <lovemexico@yahoo.com> writes:

    Harold> This week I'd like to put in some hard drives & configure
    Harold> them with grub ( or is it lilo?)

The standard Debian Woody install will give you lilo as the boot
loader. You can install grub later (IMHO, grub is nicer than lilo if
you install and use many different kernels and distributions etc.)

    Harold> Is it possible to have Debian 3.0 on the primary hard
    Harold> drive, windows98 on the second and Mandrake on the third?

I have never seen windows98 on the second drive of a machine. I'm not
sure it would work, but I don't know much about windows....put it on
the first partition.

    Harold> I do have three hard drives that are 7.8 so they are too
    Harold> small to partition each.

I have a laptop with a 6 Gig drive that has one win98 partition (2G),
one Debian installation (1G, no X) and still another Debian
installation (2G). 7.8 is plenty ;-) 3 of them is a whole lot!

    Harold> The only thing I can think of is to have Debian's
    Harold> bootloader taking care of all three. Well, I can do this
    Harold> with three windows98 harddrives but I'm going to need some
    Harold> assistance with this project.

Yes, Debian's bootloader should work out fine. Either LILO or Grub
will work out pretty well.

Read the Debian installation guide and you should have very little
trouble. As long as you have pretty standard hardware odds are you
will need no assistance.

Cheers!
Shyamal