non-embedded inbox monitor

On my machine at work I use gnome2 and have been (mostly) happy with the
inbox monitor panel applet that comes with it. I just have an X server
on my machine at home, however, and I'd like to be able to run just the
inbox monitor remotely displayed on that over ssh from work.

I can't just use xbiff or coolmail because I need IMAP support. I can't
just run gnome and the inbox monitor on my home machine because the IMAP
server is inside a firewall (which allows ssh through). Running an
entire gnome panel from the work machine is too much overhead.

Is there a nice simple way to have a single, solitary gnome applet
standalone? Or perhaps some other mail notification thing that has
support for IMAP and runs standalone?

--Greg