nvidia-kernel-src: package generation fails in strange way

Hi,

I use 1.0.3123

I have used the nvidia drivers for ages, but due to a kernel bug
cropping up I reverted to the free drivers. Since the bug happened with
those, too, I wanted to go back to the proprietary modules. Stupidly I
hadn't kept the kernel module's .deb, and when I tried to build it again
(make-kpkg modules_image), it fails with a strange error:

[untarring looks ok here]
touch configure-stamp
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
/usr/bin/make -C
/usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel-1.0.3123/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123
SYSINCLUDE=/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.19/include NVdriver
/bin/sh: - : invalid option
Usage:  /bin/sh [GNU long option] [option] ...
        /bin/sh [GNU long option] [option] script-file ...

I have no idea, no bug filed, nothing in debian-user archive.

Can somebody help? Thanks