Re: Complete Re-Install (was Re: Doing an "apt-get --purge remove" after an earlier "remove"?)

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 03:38:45PM -0600, Jeremy Turner wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 12:56, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Oh, both post-removal scripts and conffiles, yes. Post-removal scripts
> > often purge configuration files that aren't managed by dpkg.
> >
> > The full details of purging are in the Debian Policy Manual.
>
> I've been having the same problem with slapd.  I messed something up,
> and tried to remove it, but after re-installing it I was never prompted
> for any re-configuration.

Then you probably only removed it rather than purging it, or else the
package has a bug.

> dpkg-reconfigure (?) didn't help me at all either.

That's a bug, *assuming* that the package's configuration was through
debconf. You can only expect dpkg-reconfigure to do anything for
debconfized packages.