grub configuration

Dear Debian users,

I just wanted to make sure that my menu.lst looks good for grub. I wouldn't want it to fail and not be able to load any operating system. I have two questions in the comments so please be sure to read them.

I've got four partitions on my primary IDE hard drive
hd0,0  - Windows
hd0,1  - Boot
hd0,2  - Swap
hd0,3  - root

My /boot/grub/menu.lst looks like this:
==============================
default 0
timeout 5
# Windows OS
title Windows 2000
# Can I skip the next two lines if I use this?  [ rootnoverify (hd0,0) ]
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

# Linux OS
title Linux
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro
===============================

So that's my initial step to boot windows and debian. When this file was generated, this is the last thing on the file
title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4
# Shouldn't this be hd0,1 ?
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro
Why is the second line(root) designated to hd0,0? Shouldn't it be hd0,1 since /boot resides in that partition?

Finally, what safety cautions can I take if this fails?
As always, any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

bp