Re: Realtek NIC and Modem trouble.

Mike Russell said:
> Modem is internal 3com USR Sportster 56k ISA jumpered to com3 IRQ 4 Only
> hardware thats in the system is the RTL8139, Geforce Card, Modem, sound is
> the onboard sound.  I have used RTL8139's from when the 2.4 kernel started

I disable the onboard VIA sound that chip is a piece of shit. It probably
isn't the cause of the troubles though..

first thing I see is it seems you did not disable an onboard serial port
when you installed the modem, so the system may only have intermittant
communication with the serial port since it may be talking to 2 at the
same time(it may alternate between the 2). I think this because of the
3 serial entires in the IOports:

02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
03e8-03ef : serial(auto)
03f8-03ff : serial(auto)

if you really need 3 serial ports you should reconfigure the modem to
use another IRQ. one of my Zoom ISA modems can be configured for IRQ9(which
is the same as IRQ2 I believe).

not seeing any entires in /proc/interrupts for a serial port is also
odd. for one of my busy systems I have:

 3:   23184714          XT-PIC  serial
 4:   22183308          XT-PIC  serial

as for the network card, it sounds like a driver issue. I reccomend going
here:
http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html

and getting/installing the latest driver, in some cases it can be many
months or more between when donald releases a driver and when it may(or
if) get integrated into the mainline kernel. There also appears to
be a diagnostics program ther as well. there is also a rt8139 specific
mailing list, though I haven't used this list I found the eepro mailing
list helpful for eepro related issues, donald is real good about helping
people(at least on the eepro list).

and/or try a 2.2.x kernel, as I mentioned in the prev email I've used
many rt8139 cards in 2.2.x without any issues, though most of my cards
are not newer then 3 years old.

nate