Installing Debian i386 on HP Workstation 4000

We made CDs out of the iso images downloaded from the Debian site and then burned CDs. So now our first CD is the “rescue CD”. When we boot from the rescue CD we do not get any error messages but the installation halts after the first minute or so and the last message on the console is “PCI: Probing PCI hardware”. Our machine never recovers from this state until we do a hard reboot. Please help.

Thanks

Ghazala