Re: Debian cannot find the CD

do you know which ide device your cd drive is?  i'd imagine that
you're just missing a symlink.  normally, /dev/cdrom is a link to
/dev/hd[bcd], depending on where it's plugged in on your ide chain.

if you don't know what i'm talking about, you can figure it out really
easy by doing the following command:

$ dmesg | grep CD

you should see something along the following lines:

oil[~]11:46:13$ dmesg | grep CD
hdc: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148C, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

so my cd drive is on hdc.  to make the symlink:

# ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom

and then everything should work.

hth
	sean

of course if you're using scsi instead you'll have to modify a letter or two.