From: alan brown [mailto:alanbrown@pacbell.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 3:28 AM
To: 'Geordie Birch'; debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: help configuring my monitor resolution...

I tried reconfiguring but now I'm in a worse pickle than ever...

When I first installed Xserver I was at least able to ctrl-alt-delete
out of it (returning to a console view of the world), and edit the
XF86Config-4 file and then run startx again and see how my changes
changed X-Windows' behaviour.  But now I'm stuck within gnome and my
mouse is dead.  Ctrl-alt-delete has no effect.  And even if I did have a
working mouse, I'm unclear how to get truly out of the GUI.  When I
logout of Gnome I go to the graphical log-in page and am offered no
options other than logging right back in.  So I'm not sure that I'm
truly out of x-windows (though I think perhaps I am).

So my question is, How can I use the keyboard to kill X-Windows (as my
mouse is dead)?

And while I'm at it, how can I truly shut down linux.  Because I am not
offered that option from the login page.  Isn't there some simple set of
keystrokes that will tell linux to shutdown from anywhere like
ctrl-alt-delete does in Windows?

Help is appreciated as I'm a recent windows convert and I'm struggling
to process the linux functionality through my expectation of windows
functionality.

BTW - FWIW I've found Debian much easier to install than I expected it
would be.  It's when something doesn't go according to plan that there's
so much more to learn than in Windows.  At least for a windows user...

alan