cluster: rsh vs. ssh

Hi,

our cluster configuration has a master node with two NICs: one connected to the
outside world, one for a private network.  The software we use is parallelized
via MIPCH, hence either rsh or ssh will be used to make connections.  Every user
on the cluster needs to access all the machines without password (.rhosts or
passphrase free private key).  I wonder if there is any reason why ssh should be
used within a private network as I cannot see any security implications in such
a setup.

Any comments welcome,
Hannes.