Re: best traffic shaper solution for modem line?

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 18:39, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:

> fsblk@aurora.uaf.edu said:
> >  I have only a dial up connection (stone age, I know).  I notice there
> > a number of traffic shaper/QoS solutions around now and I am wondering
> > if anyone has an opinion which is the best.  I want the usual things,
> > in this order:
>
> What are you trying to achieve? To give preference to some incoming traffic
> over other?
>
> If so, tough. You can only shape outgoing traffic. Think about it.

You can actually shape incoming traffic too.

When the network gets congested, routers will start dropping packets. A
TCP sender will detect this and send packets more slowly (less
frequently).

So if you want to be sent stuff more slowly, drop some packets. The TCP
sender will assume the network is congested and slow down.

Shaping UDP would be more of a problem, though ...

Richard